We have a small cat.
We don’t know whether it’s because she was the runt of the litter or whether it was because she was a young pregnant stray, but she’s a Domestic British Short Hair weighing less than 4-pounds – so pretty small.
But even carrying her 5-minutes down the road to our vet makes my arm ache.
Cat carriers can be heavy even before your cat gets inside.
We can’t imagine what it’s like if you have a cat that’s 10 or 15 pounds heavy.
You guys must have arms of steel!
Carrying a carrier for a short distance is fine. You might be running out to the car or taking your pet door-to-door but what if you have to carry your pet through an airport or for longer periods?
What if you have a wrist or shoulder injury?
If you’re unable to carry your pet very far, a wheeled carrier makes a lot of sense. It’s also useful if you’re taking your cat somewhere and you’re alone and need to be hands-free to open doors, etc.
Buying a soft cat carrier is one solution but that’s not much help if you have an injury or if your cat is heavy. An off-balance carrier can make a feline seem weightier than it is.
We wrote a post earlier this year about extra-large cat carriers on wheels that was geared towards the US market but we’ve since had a few people ask about wheeled crates for a UK audience.
We wanted to see what was available.
Cat carriers with wheels come in a number of different forms and we’ve included them below. You can buy carriers that are more like pushchairs but others will resemble more shopping baskets on wheels or pull-along luggage (the kind you see in airports).
What are the best wheeled cat carriers to buy?
This is more like a pushchair which won’t be ideal for everyone but as a wheeled cat carrier it doesn’t get much more convenient or easy to use than this.
- 360-degree swivel wheels makes it easy to move
- Made with durable fabric
- Mesh windows
- Collapsible Hood
- Comfortable padding
- Rear wheels have brakes
- Foldable for easy storage
- Cup holder
- Storage basket and safety latch
- Security straps that can be attached to a collar
- For pets weighing 15 kg or less
This resembles a pull along bag similar to what you’d see in an airport.
- Ideal for pets weighing 14 kg
- Quiet wheels
- Made from Oxford cloth
- Spacious interior
- You can remove fabric carrier to clean
This is also similar to a wheel along airport-style cat carrier. It looks like luggage and you wouldn’t even know a cat was inside.
- Ideal for taking your cat by public transport
- Opens at front and the back
- Probably not suitable for cats likely to chew or claw mesh
- Interior bottom is padded
- Suitable for pets 10 kgs or lighter
- Easy to clean
- Air circulation through the mesh
This is a snazzy 5-in-1 carrier that will give you multiple options of transporting your cat in comfort and style.
- It’s a backpack, a push chair, a carrier, a trolley and a car seat.
- It’s made from eco-friendly material
- Suitable for cats up to 8 kgs.
- One-click folding mechanism
- Has swivel wheels
- Rear brakes
- There’s a snack tray with a cup holder
- It comes in pink
This pet carrier is designed to be used for transporting cats by plane but it is on wheels and is easy to move around regardless of what you’re using it for.
- Durable and robust build
- Weighs 7kg
- Metal doors
- Comes with a water bowl
Keeping Your Cat Calm in the Carrier
- If your cat is easily stressed about getting into its carrier, then there are things you can do to help including spraying a synthetic pheromone spray inside to help keep them calm.
- If you’re wheeling your pet, then its worth thinking about where you’re going to go as different road or pavement surfaces are louder than others and could be stressful to a cat that’s close to the ground.
- You might want to cover the carrier over so your cat isn’t overstimulated by everything going past.
- It’s helpful to put a towel or blanket in the bottom of the carrier for comfort. It’s good, too, if its familiar to the cat as it will smell like them. Toys are also a good option. There’s no harm in a couple of snacks to help enforce a pleasant feeling as they go.