Backpacks for carrying cats are a little more unusual than regular hard of soft carriers.
They’re great because they offer a hands-free way of getting your cat from A-to-B securely.
Cat backpacks are popular with hikers but they can also be worn for taking a pet to the veterinarian, around the neighborhood, or on public transport.
For owners suffering with arm, wrist, shoulder or elbow pain, the weight distribution of a backpack can make it more comfortable than a traditional carrier.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
In a Hurry?
Go straight to our favorite on Amazon
or keep reading for more details
There are different styles and materials to choose from.
Owners should think about the personality of their cat before purchasing. Mesh material, for example, could be less suitable for cats prone to biting or scratching at carriers.
Bubble backpacks are among our favourite carriers because they make cats look like little furry astronauts, and if that’s not a reason to buy one, we don’t know what is.
Are Cat Backpacks Cruel?
Backpacks for carrying cats are no crueler than a regular carrier.
It’s the same principle as a hand-carrier but it has straps and you hold it on your back.
Of course, some cats might not like being enclosed in a backpack because while there’s ventilation in a backpack they might prefer to feel the air on their whiskers.
It will probably depend on the personality of your cat and how they usually react to being put in a carrier.
Cat backpacks are enjoyed by countless owners and pets. They might not be for everyone but they’re not cruel if used correctly and with the cat’s best interests in mind.
Buying Backpacks for Carrying Cats: Things to Consider
- You’ll need to measure your cat from nose to tail to make sure you’re buying a carrier that’s big enough.
- Think about why you’re buying a backpack and what you’ll be using it for. If you’re planning on going hiking, then look for a pack that’s durable with strong stitching and check it has a secure loop to attach a leash or harness to for added security.
- You might always want to see if there are pockets or zips that you can store items in. It’s useful to have a collapsible bowl to hand or space for some treats.
- If you’re traveling by car, then you may need to buy a carrier for the car. We’ve got a few posts that might help you.
Buy Cat Backpacks on Amazon
Amazon sell a range of different backpacks.
It’s also useful to read some of the reviews both for the individual products and to see how other customers are using them.
Often in the Q and A sections, you’ll find some useful hints and advice, too.
- Measures approximately 12.5″ x 10.2″ x 16.3″ (L x W x H).
- Suitable for cats weighing up to 18 pounds.
- There’s plenty of ventilation.
- Two-way entry gives easy access into the backpack.
- A zip-up mesh window gives more space and increased visibility.
- Sherpa bedding for warmth and comfort.
- Durable re-enforced design
- Has both a safety strap and buckle for security
- Thick padding on the straps with additional support around both the waist and chest.
- It comes with a collapsible pet bowl
- Side pouches and a front pocket for easy access and storage.
- Good range of colors
- Good for carrying dogs, too.
- Dimensions: 12.99″L x 9.05″W x 15.74
- This backpack fits cats under 13 pounds but the optimum weight is 10 pounds and under.
- There’s just something so adorable about seeing a cat in an astronaut bubble backpack, and we weren’t kidding — take a look at the video on the product page.
- The semi-sphere window gives the cat a secure place from which to view the world and see what’s going on around them without the risk that they’ll bite or claw through the soft fabric.
- There’s a built-in security leash for added security.
- There’s good ventilation as well as mesh panels around the backpack.
- The adjustable shoulder straps are great for added comfort and for supporting the weight of the cat against your back.
- The top and side entry of the backpack allows for easy accessibility.
- It comes with a plastic bubble dome that has 3 ventilation holes and a mesh cover.
- The cat backpack measures 16″L x 12″W x 15″H
- This isn’t just a backpack but a car seat, carrier, roller bag and a tote all-in-one.
- Its telescopic handle allows you to pull it along like a suitcase.
- You can add an additional three inches of space by expanding the sides.
- The side storage pockets are useful for things that need to be kept close to hand.
- Some reviewers have said it’s ideal for trips to the veterinarian’s office but less so for use in airline cabins.
- There’s a removable washable pad
Backpacks for carrying cats are a great alternative to more traditional carriers. Some cats will love them and if your feline has a taste for the open country or enjoys being up high then they’re ideal.