We hope you like the products we recommend! Just so you know this post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking our links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions from purchases made through links in this post.
Most cats enjoy exploring the outdoors but it’s not always safe to allow them to wander freely outside.
Portable outdoor cat enclosures give house cats a taste of the wider world.
You might live in an area where there are predators or your house could be next to a busy road. If your cat has a chronic illness, injury or disability or if they’re recovering from surgery, you may have little choice but to keep them close to home.
Owners can also use portable outdoor cat enclosures as temporary measures after a recent adoption or house move. It helps the cat get used to the new environment and can be as reassuring to nervous owners as much as to their pets.
It’s a nice way to give your cat a little vacation and a change of scenery, too.
Our cat enjoys sitting in the kitchen window watching us as we work and enjoy our garden. A temporary outside enclosure is a great way of including house cats in your outdoor life.
In a hurry?
Click the links opposite to go straight to our cat enclosure picks on Amazon
- Best soft-sided outdoor cat closure
- Best for balcony or decking
- Best for included bowl and carry-case
- Best Cage on wheels
What Are Portable Outdoor Cat Enclosures?
They’re similar to the pop-up playpens that parents put babies and toddlers in.
Some look like big soft cat carriers and others do look exactly like a child’s playpen. Others are tall cages that can be wheeled around, and you can also buy some that look like small tents.
Things to Look for in a Portable Outdoor Cat Enclosure
- You want a cat enclosure that’s secure, durable and safe to use.
- We always encourage people to read the reviews before buying. Cat owners are pretty good at flagging up potential problems or flaws in online write-ups.
- You should look for something easy to assemble (or you might never use it), something lightweight and easy to store.
- Enclosure sizes can vary, too, so think about how much space your cat needs.
Do Cats Like Temporary Catios?
It will depend on your cat’s personality to some extent but most cats do enjoy the outdoors.
If they’re a little overwhelmed, you could spay a synthetic pheromone inside the enclosure to help them feel more secure and you should also add any favourite toys and blankets.
How Much Does One Cost?
They’re very affordable ranging from $20 right up to $100+ depending on the size and build quality.
If you’re thinking about adding a permanent cat enclosure to your property in the future, temporary ones are a good way of testing the water before committing financially to a bigger project.
Buy Portable Outdoor Cat Enclosures on Amazon
Parkland Pet Portable Foldable Playpen
- No need to assemble
- Folds down flat
- Comes in small, medium, and large
- Unzip the top for quick and easy access
- Made from 600-dernier material
- Has built-in straps that can be staked into the ground
- Half-meshed top for shade
- Easy to clean with warm water and soap but not machine-washable.
Kittywalk Outdoor Net Cat Enclosure for Decks, Patios, Balconies
- Ideal for use on balconies, patios or decking
- Anti-rip netting
- Completely enclosed
- Weather resistant
- Easy to pack-up for travel
- Good ventilation
- Easy to assemble
- Stable structure for peace of mind
Ruff ‘n Ruffus Portable Foldable Pet Playpen + Carrying Case & Collapsible Travel Bowl
- Folds flat
- Pops up quickly with no assembly
- Available in 3 sizes
- Water resistant
- Attached floor mat
- Removable top
- Reinforced seams and corners
- Easy to move around and store
- Includes carry case and collapsible bowl
Prevue Pet Products Premium/Deluxe Cat Cage
- Rust resistant
- Heavy duty
- Two hammocks and two platforms included
- Over 5 feet tall
- 3 extra-large double doors
- On castors for easy movement
- Lots of videos on Amazon to see the product in action
- No shade if put outdoors in the sunshine
We hope you’ve found our list of portable outdoor cat enclosures useful.
If you didn’t see one you liked, then there are plenty of others on Amazon for you browse and buy. Take a look and let us know what we’re missing on our list.
We’d love to know, too, how you’ve been using your catios and enclosures.
1 thought on “4 Portable Outdoor Cat Enclosures to Buy”
Pingback: Why Do Cats Cry Like A Baby At Night? 8 Reasons