We’ve said it many times: cats are territorial and they’ll usually prefer their home territory over somewhere new.
Often, that’s true.
But not always.
You might adopt a cat and then notice that it’s a little shy or hesitant to explore its new space; it might hide under a bed or stay in one room for a few days.
Perhaps you’ve also noticed a behaviour change when you bring out your cat carrier or drop your pet back home after a veterinarian or cattery visit.
It’ll sound familiar to a lot of people, but not everyone.
Because maybe your cat is fearless, adventurous and curious about exploring new places.
You might take your cat with you when you travel and packing up their blankets, toys and catnip, regularly hit the road for holidays. How fabulous for you that your cat is happy to go and that you’re happy to take them.
But what happens if you want your cat to get some fresh air? With this in mind, we wanted to see what some of the best portable cat enclosures for caravans were.
(Of course, you can buy a portable cat enclosure to use at home, too. They can be a great way for indoor cats to get some fresh air as well as one way of helping ill or injured outdoor cats recuperate).
As always, we use affiliate links, so if you do make a purchase using one of our suggestions then we may make a small commission at no additional cost to you 😊
- You should think about how big you need the enclosure to be. This is going to depend on how large your cat is and whether you have more than one to put inside. You will also need to think about the outside space you have to put the enclosure in.
- The enclosure should be robust enough and made from quality materials. The last thing you want is your cat to claw or chew its way out when your miles from home. It’s worth looking at the quality of the zips and panels, too.
- You’ll need something that can fold down because storage on a caravan is a premium.
- Caravans are designed to move around but it is worth thinking about the types of temperature you and your cat will be traveling in. Some enclosures have very little shade which won’t be ideal in hot temperatures especially if there’s little to no cover.
- Some products aren’t specifically made for cats. You’ll see them called pet enclosures and often it’s fine to put cats inside them but always read the product description carefully first as some enclosures may not be suitable for all small animals.
- Portable cat enclosures for caravans don’t always have to be for the holidays, either. You might like to use the tent at home, too, and that may influence your buying decision: you might want something bigger, wider, or something with additional features.
- Does it come with a carry case or do you have to fold it down and keep it collapsed yourself?
- It’s helpful to see how easy it is to clean, too. This becomes more important the longer you’re on the road. A wipe down material should be sufficient to keep in good condition when you’re traveling.
- It should be easy to set-up and easy to take down.
- We always advise that you think about your cat’s personality before buying something like this. Outdoor cats might find it stressful: being zipped into an enclosure when they’re used to wandering freely.
In this case, you might be better off using a harness and letting them wander on a leash without being enclosed. Indoor cats might also be overwhelmed (at least initially) about suddenly being outdoors.
If you’re cat has anxiety about being in carriers etc., then it’s worth training them to use the enclosure before you leave on your travels. Enclosures are often material or mesh and may not hold up 100% to a sustained attack from a distressed or aggressive cat.
We love how portable this is: easy to fold down, store, open out and assemble. It has some great reviews on Amazon, too.
- QUICK & EASY SET UP.Pulling string pop up system makes it easy and fast set up and take down in seconds. Save your time and effort.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE DESIGN FOR TRAVEL.Comes with a carry bag so you won't have to worry when it's time to travel, you can easily bring the cat tent with you!
- LARGE CAT RUN ENCLOSURE.Dimensions: 74 x 63 x 36 Inches.With over 32 square feet of activity space, this outdoor playhouse is large enough for multiple cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, and other small animals. To maximize playtime, there is plenty of extra space for toys, treats, litter box, and even a bed.
- TIGHT AND HIGH QUALITY MESH.Mesh sides,top and bottom allow for more visual, easy washing and keep your pet in your sight,and don't feel nervous,your pet will enjoy a day in the sun.Includes 4 tent pegs for staking down your outdoor cat enclosures.
- OUTDOOR AND INDOOR USE.360-degree view,keeps your cat or small pet closer to nature.Indoors the tent is ideal for kittens, isolating an injured pet, or introducing a new pet.This cat tent fence also works great on any patio, lawn, balcony and more.
Last update on 2021-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This has a pop-up design so it’s ready to use within seconds.
Expanded size: 188 x 160 x 91CM/74 x 63 x 36 Inches
Folded size: 89 x14 x 14 CM/35 x 6 x 6 Inches
Includes tent, carry case, and 4 stakes to put into the ground
The diameter entrance: 45 cm/18″
Weighs: 1.25 kg
- Good ventilation
- Easy to move around and carry
- Big enough to hold multiple cats
- Mesh panels keep cats cool in the warmed weather
- Easy to clean
- Some reviewers have said that whilst it’s easy to set up, there are no instructions included.
This is great for anyone with limited space in their caravan. It’ll easily fit behind a sofa or in a cupboard or even in the boot of a car.
This isn’t everyone’s first thought when looking for a portable cat enclosure for caravans but a cat cage can be useful as it’s on wheels and it’s entirely enclosed. It’ll be suitable for cats that wouldn’t do well in mesh-sided pop-ups.
- 3-tier cat cage playpen provides cats or kittens with a fun, safe place to hangout or play
- Made of durable steel wire with a black rust-resistant E-coat finish; 4 wheels for easy maneuverability
- 3 shelves offer vertical space for resting or playing; 2 swing-open doors for easy inside access; secure-locking door latches
- Removable leak-proof plastic floor pan; fold-down design for easy transport or compact storage
- Dimensions: 35.8 x 22.4 x 50.6 inches (LxWxH); weighs 37.4 pounds
Last update on 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
It has three shelves which gives your pet the opportunity to climb up and encourages the cat’s natural instinct to go high.
- Dimensions: 91 x 57 x 128.5 cm
- Weighs: 17 kg
- Made from wire with rust-resistant finish
- 4-wheels to move around
- There’s enough room for food, water, and a litter tray.
- Two swing doors for easy access
- Locking latches on the doors for security
- Easy to clean
- Folds down easily when it isn’t being used
- Not suitable for permanent outside use
- No shade or protection from the elements as it’s made from wire.
This would be really useful for a caravan that has an awning or a covered shelter.
This is a portable pet enclosure so it’s suitable for dogs and small animals as well as small animals.
This is made from waterproof material and has been designed for both indoor and outdoor use.
Dimensions: 47 x 33 x 4 cm
Weighs: 880 Grams
Made from 600 Dernier Oxford and mesh cloth
Includes playpen and carry case
- Easy to use when you’re on the road
- Can be used inside the caravan or outside
- Folds down easily
- Includes a carry case
- Easy to handwash with a soft cloth
- Good ventilation
- Handy security screen
- Lots of space for your cat to sit and move inside the playpen enclosure
- This comes in a range of colours
- Some reviewers have said that it’s smaller than expected. We’d recommend looking at the product dimensions before buying and then comparing it to your cat’s measurements.
We really like that this is the type of product you can use both at home and on the road.
We hope you found our choices useful or that they’ve given you a better idea of the kind of portable cat enclosures for caravans that are available to buy. You might also like to see our previous post on outdoor portable cat enclosures which has a few different options and some may be more suited to stay-at-home enclosures.