If you’ve decided to start taking your cat with you on bike rides, you may be wondering the best way of doing it.
As always, if you want to jump straight into shopping then we’ll add two of our favorites below. We’re an Amazon affiliate so if you make a purchase then we may make a commission at no cost to you 😊
Or keep reading for our brief buyer’s guide so you can see what you should be looking in a cat bike trailer along with our shortlist of suitable products that you may like to buy or research further.
You tow your cat behind the bike with a cat bicycle trailer. It’s an enclosed carrier on two wheels joined to the bike by a bar. It allows the rider to cycle without the need to put the pet in a front basket or to carry them in a backpack.
What to Look for in a Cat Bike Trailer?
Before you start looking for the best product to buy, it can be helpful to consider a few things to give you a better idea of what to pick and why.
- Knowing your cat’s weight will help you pick the best trailer for them. Often manufacturer’s will include an upper weight limit that’s worth paying attention to.
- You should consider the kinds of bike rides you’ll be taking with your pet. If you’re sticking to paved areas and staying local, then you can opt for a standard trailer. If you’re planning on hitting the trail or going off-road then you should look for something with suspension or good tires. Remember, too, that most cats won’t appreciate bumping around so it’s worth considering the routes you’ll be traveling in before buying.
- A lightweight trailer will be easier to pull and to carry.
- Consider the types of weather you’re likely to be riding in. Most cats won’t appreciate being out in the bad weather. It’s not always easy to find waterproof trailers but you should look for ones that are weather resistant to offer some protection if you get caught out in bad weather.
- Trailers with easy access will be most useful in getting your cat in and out.
- It should be made from breathable material and have good all-round ventilation.
- The zippers should be strong and secure. One way of understanding how durable a trailer is would be by looking at the reviews and paying attention to what people believe the products strengths and weakness are from personal experience. The need for secure zippers may also depend on whether your pet is an escape artist or not.
- See if there’s a safety tether. If not, you should add one just so that you have peace of mind that your cat can’t get out.
- We’d recommend having a safety flag on the trailer to make it visible to other sidewalk, pavement, or road users. You might also want reflectors, too, to help been seen in the dark.
- If you’re short on space in your home, it might be helpful to look for trailers that are easy to fold up or store when not being used.
- Consider how easy the cat bike trailer is to assemble
- A lot of bike trailers are designed for dogs. That’s fine and shouldn’t put you off but bear in mind your cat’s personality: sharp claws and teeth can make light work of thin fabric. Read the product descriptions carefully as well as the verified customer reviews to ensure you’re buying something that will keep your cats safe.
- You may also come across bike trailers designed for children. Owners do use these for cats but it’s worth reading the manufacturer’s product descriptions carefully.
Cat Bike Trailers to Buy
The best bicycle trailer for you will be the one most suitable for your pet. It will depend on how you intend to use the trailer and on the personality of your pet. We hope you’ll find something below that suits your requirements or that it will be a jumping-off point for your research.
This comes in both a medium and large size so it’s great for bigger cats to use (as well as multiple cats) and have ample room.
- DURABLE STEEL: A strong, steel constructed frame lets you go for bike rides with your best friend in tow
- A RIDE WITH A VIEW: Let your pet enjoy the view while looking out the back, front and side ventilated windows while give them shade from the sun
- SAFE AND SECURE: A safety tether inside the trailer attaches to your furry friend’s harness to keep them safe when hitting the trails; weather-resistant trailer has reflectors for added visibility
- EASY TO CONNECT: The trailer hitch quickly connects to your bicycle; at the end of your adventure with your best friend, easily disconnect the hitch and collapse the trailer for storage
- STORAGE POUCHES: 3 pockets on the outside of the trailer allow you to bring your pup’s leash, treats, water and poop bags along on your adventure
Last update on 2021-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
It has three storage pouches which make it ideal for those longer trips where you may want to pack some snacks.
- Made with durable 600d polyester fabric
- Dimensions: 17 x 20 x 26 inches
- Weighs: 30.65 Pounds
- Holds pets up to 50 pounds
- 16-inch air-filled tires
- Includes a universal bicycle hitch
- Wide wheelbase
- Folds down to store easily
- Safety leash included helping prevent any escapes
- Its wide wheelbase gives a stable ride
- The low entry point makes it easier for injured or older cats
- It has a waterproof layer over the front door
- It includes mesh screens for good ventilation
- Several reviewers have said that assembling the trailer can be tricky.
If you’re interested in turning this into a pet stroller, you can also buy a conversion kit.
We really like the look of this trailer but you can pick between different colors – pick between orange, blue, and green. It also comes in a small and large size.
- Take your pet out on the road with the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer. This trailer is the perfect way to take your furry friend with you for a safe bike ride
- Unique, folding, steel frame and quick-release wheels pack up neatly for compact storage and transport
- For added versitility, an included coupler easily attaches to almost any bicycle. The aluminum rims and air-filled tires easily inflate with standard bicycle tire pump. Product dimensions - 53.35 x 25.8 x 26.4 inches
- Designed for plenty of air ventilation, the cabin's internal leash is adjustable and keeps pets from jumping out of the trailer
- A rear doggy-door allows for easy entrance and exit, and holds one pet up to 50 pounds. This pet trailer comes unassembled, has a 1 year limited warranty, and the wheels measure 16 inches
Last update on 2021-07-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This has a collapsible frame which makes it ideal for anyone needing to transport the trailer by car.
- Product dimensions: 34 x 28 x 19.5 inches
- Weighs: 34 Pounds
- Holds 1 pet up to 50 pounds
- Includes a Universal Coupler
- 16-inch air-filled tire
- Quick-release wheels fold down for easy storage
- Internal safety leash
- Good air ventilation
- It offers a smooth and responsive ride thanks to its 2-wheel design.
- Non-slip lining that can be removed and washed
- Weather and bug shield over the top
- If you have a particularly anxious cat (or a pet likely to try and tear at the material), they may be able to tear a hole in the fabric.
The internal leash is adjustable which will make it easier to keep your cat comfortable and secure inside the main carriage area.
This trailer comes in small, medium, and large which makes it great for Maine Coon cats or if you’d like an additional room for your cat. It looks great, too, and comes in a bright red colour so it’ll be easy to spot.
- Made of hard-wearing, easy-care nylon. Internal dimensions: 36 × 34 × 57 cm
- With solid metal frame
- Wheels with quick-fix system
- Net inserts for good air circulation
- With front and rear door
Last update on 2021-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This has rear and front access which makes getting your cat in and out easier.
Features of the small trailer
- Product dimensions: 60cm x 60cm x 53cm
- Weight: 10.18 kgs
- Be sure to check the details of the medium and large trailer on the product page, too.
- Trailer hitch included
- Solid durable frame
- Good air circulation
- Closable roof cover
- Short leash included helping reduce the risk of escape
- Signal flag for visibility
- Attractive design
- Easy to assemble
- A few reviewers have said that the wheel spokes need tightening out of the box.
This is more expensive than other cat bike trailers available to buy right now.
We really like how this comes in different sizes making it suitable not just for different cat breeds but for any dogs you have, too.
These are the pet-specific bike trailers that we felt represented the best value for money and which had the best reviews. You may not have found the cat bike trailer that you hoped, however, so we’ll mention a few additional products below which you may want to investigate further. Some are designed for children so it’s worth checking the reviews and the Q and As for details about whether they’re good for pets.
Last update on 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API